5 Ways to Free Up Extra Disk Space on Your Computer
We have all seen the dreaded pop up on our computer that tells us that we are low on disk space, but what does this actually mean and how do we remedy it? Windows created this warning to alert computer users that their hard drive is running low on available space. Most of us ignore this warning hoping that we can keep working the same way we always do. The problem with this thinking is that our C: drive needs a minimum amount of available disk space to perform on your computer. If you don’t have enough available disk space, your computer will run slower and you won’t be able to work as efficiently as you normally would.
Disk Space Cleanup
Here are a 5 ways you can free up disk space on your computer:
- Delete – Probably the easiest and fastest way to create more hard drive space on your computer is to delete old or unnecessary files. Consistently clearing out your Documents, Downloads and Desktop are ways you can drastically improve your computer’s performance. Check your trash and dump unwanted items.
- Uninstall – Uninstalling programs will also free up disk space. From the Programs and Features control panel, you can click the Size column to see just how much space each program installed on your computer is using. Determine which ones you are not using any more and remove them.
- Backup – Video and pictures take up a lot of space on our computer. Delete these files or move them onto an external USB hard drive or external storage to free up space.
- Disk Cleanup – Windows can help with deleting temporary files and other unimportant data. Right click on one of your hard drives in the Computer window and select properties. Once in properties, click on the Disk Cleanup button. You can also search “Disk Cleanup” from the start menu.
- Free tools – There are a few FREE tools you can download that will help you free up disk space on your computer. CCleaner and Patch Cleaner are a few good options. Follow the instructions on their prompts and enjoy the benefits of having a program do the heavy lifting.
At Protek, we want to help you work smarter. In an effort to keep your computer running efficiently, we strongly suggest freeing up disk space from time to time. If you have questions about how to do this or would like to hear more about our services, contact us today.
[button link=”[email protected]” type=”big” newwindow=”yes”] CONTACT PROTEK TODAY[/button]
Eric is the owner and CEO of Protek Support and is a CISSP (Certified Information Systems Security Professional). He graduated from Utah State University with a Bachelors of Science degree in Business with an emphasis in Information Technology (IT). He is an IT Services expert in a variety of technology related fields. Some of these fields include document management software/hardware, enterprise level networking and VoIP phone systems, as well as large scale software implementation projects and the setup of small business networks.