There are two little know facts about productivity and employees. Productivity in the workplace is critical for your business to grow. There is nothing more important to a small business than its employees. One way to insure productivity is to make sure your employees are happy, Sounds simple, right? Most employers try and hold their employees to the same standard when it comes to productivity. Everyone within your company reacts in their own way to different situations and environments.It is important to understand everyone’s needs and then find a way to tailor an approach that can make everyone happier and more motivated to perform.
Here are 8 ways you can understand your employees more and ensure productivity in the workplace is at an all time high:
- Focus on accomplishments – Is there is a good way for employees to structure their day? Making a list of the things that need to get done every day and week and prioritizing that list, will help to ensure efficient working. If there are certain tasks that must be done today, having them on a list and checking them off when completed will ensure you are focusing on accomplishments not just to-do lists.
- Be flexible – Some employees work better in a remote work environment. A recent study from Harvard Business Review showed that employees that have the choice to work from home can be 13% more productive than those that are made to work in an office. Look at each employee individually and see what makes sense for them and their job.
- Improve workplace conditions – If your environment is too hot or cold, it can distract employees from getting their job done. They might be tempted to spend time walking around to get warm instead of focusing on the work at hand. Ensure your heating and cooling systems are working properly during changing seasons.
- Understand your demographic – Learn the different age groups in your organization. Millennials are digital natives so they rely on technology to get the job done. Baby boomers or Gen X employees have different needs that need to be considered. Holding everyone to the same standard might prove to be a difficult task. Knowing specific needs can help with showing productivity.
- Delegate when possible – It is never easy to delegate because you always run the risk of things falling through the cracks or not getting done. If we can learn to delegate, we will increase morale and job satisfaction from the people we delegate to. This gives each of them the opportunity to gain skills and leadership experience that will benefit them in the company and create a sense of achievement in their career.
- Offer healthy snacks and food – There is nothing worse than consuming lots of soda and sugary snacks throughout the work day. If you have the ability, offer healthy work snacks to employees to keep their energy levels up. Eating well is one of the best ways to stay motivated throughout the day.
- Minimize distractions – Social media can be a huge distraction in the work place, Consider putting limitations on technology but also find a balance and give employees a little breathing room during breaks so they will be less likely to check phones while they are on work time.
- Provide the right tools – There is nothing more frustrating then trying to do your work and finding that you don’t have the right tools and resources to get it done on time. Save time by investing in the right equipment like a high quality printer, robust CRM, and password manager, so employees don’t waist time trying to get their tools and programs to work.
- Give positive reinforcement – The most important thing you can do to improve moral and increase productivity is encourage, motivate, and reward. Don’t hold back when it comes to telling your employees they are doing a good job. When employees feel appreciated, they are more likely to work harder for you.
- Offer support – A common problem for managers is not having a sense of whether or not their employees are performing or not. Offer goals and provide support and feedback so they will be more likely to increase productivity as they strive to do their best to reach them.
When employees feel valued and appreciated, they are more motivated to show productivity in the workplace. Better productivity contributes to larger profits, it is as simple as that.
What things are you doing to increase productivity in the workplace?